Friday 11 May 2007

Notes from a foreign land

Here's just a review of the past week. Last Saturday, hubby and I went to the library to check out the book sale and get library cards. The cards double as a photo ID and a discount pass around town. Most of the discounts aren't too hot (50p off, etc.), but at least now we're hooked up with library cards. None of the books I wanted were in, so we left sans checked-out items. I haven't checked a book out of a library in probably more than a decade, but I'm going to give it a go here. I'm used to just buying books, but I want to conserve cash as our budget is tight in this oh-so-costly country.

Went to the knee doc and got bad news. While it was good that the recent test didn't show any major new problem, it definitely looks like I'm in for lots more knee problems over the years and eventual knee replacement of both knees. I'm young enough that the docs don't want to do that for many years to come, as replacements don't last more than 10-15 years, and replacements after the first one tend to be less successful. He recommended I look into Articular Cartilage Transplant (ACT). It's *costly*, not always covered by insurance, and from what I can tell, the success rates aren't thrilling. So I've been bummed out this week quite a lot, and my knees haven't continued getting better as they had the past couple of weeks.

And then there's the weather. I think we're back to more typical English weather. I don't mind it really, but it has been wetter and colder this week. Perhaps that's why my knees hurt more?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.